Looking for new ways to attract more viewers to your Instagram content and profile? You could try using a new font when posting on the app. In this article, we show you how you can change fonts on Instagram when creating posts, Stories, Reels, and more.
Tip: Instagram not working for you? Here’s what to do to get back to posting pictures and images asap.
- What Font Does Instagram Use by Default?
- How to Change Fonts for Instagram Stories and Reels
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Font Does Instagram Use by Default?
If you’re curious about what kind of font Instagram uses by default, it’s the Proxima Nova. This is a classical sans-serif typeface that is considered one of the best for web use. By the way, if you’ve spotted a nice font and you want to know what it is, check out these useful tools to help you identify fonts in images.
While Instagram doesn’t natively include any tools that allow users to format the text attached to posts, changing the font is still possible.
How to Change Fonts for Instagram Bio, Posts & Comments
If you don’t like Instagram’s default font, you’re in luck. We show you how to change the font style in your bio on your profile and on regular posts and comments.
Using a web-based font generator is perhaps the easiest method available. Whether you’re using Instagram on your mobile device or browser, you can easily access one of the following tools (which are based on Unicode) in your favorite browser.
Unicode is the universal character encoding standard and converts all the characters for all the world’s writing systems. Instagram supports Unicode scripts, enabling it to work with different alphabets, punctuation marks, and emojis.
While there are many Instagram font generators out there, for the purpose of this tutorial, we’re going to use LingoJam’s Fonts for Instagram tool.
- Go to the Fonts for Instagram page on your mobile device or PC.
- Input the text you want to add to your post or bio in the box on top.
- The tool will start to autogenerate alternative versions of your text using different fonts.
- Scroll through the available options and once you’ve identified something you like, long press and then drag your finger over the text in question. Release the finger and select “Copy” from the menu that appears.
- To add the new text to your bio, go to your profile on Instagram and press the “Edit profile” button.
- Then paste the text in the “Bio” field.
- Similarly, if you want to use the custom text in one of your posts, go to your profile and press the “+” button in the upper right corner on mobile. On PC, you will find it on the left side of the display.
- Select “Post” from the menu that pops up at the bottom.
- Add your images and go to the “New Post” screen. Paste the text in the “Write caption” field. The text using the font you’ve picked out will now be visible.
- You can also use change the caption font for Reels. Just fill out the “Write caption” field in the “New Post” screen, just like in the case of regular posts.
- When it comes to comments, it’s simple. Paste the custom text into the comment box and press “Post.”
Not satisfied with the options available on Fonts for Instagram. There are plenty of other options to pick from online, including:
Some of these tools even have font creation options, so if you feel creative enough, you can go ahead and try your hand at making your own. If you want your font to be available for broader use, you can use one of these tools for your font-creation efforts.
How to Change Fonts for Instagram Stories and Reels
When it comes to Instagram Stories and Reels, you can add text on top of the image or video you’ve decided to use. We already showed you how to change the caption fonts for Reels, but what about the text that goes directly on top of them? Once again, options to change the font exist.
1. Built-in Options
If you want to add text on top of your Stories and Reels, you have a few options for customizing the font.
- On your Instagram profile, click on the “+” button in the upper right corner and select “Story.”
- Add the image(s) or video you wish to use.
- On the next screen tap on the “Aa” button at the top.
- Type in your text using the default font.
- To change the font swipe your finger at the bottom to bring up more options. Tap on one of them to change the font style.
- To change the color of the font, tap on the color palette at the top.
- If you want your text to pop out even more, opt for a sticker-style format instead. Tap on the “Sticker” icon at the top.
- Type in your text and see if sticker-like options are available featuring custom fonts. Note that if your text is more complicated, you’re probably not going to find a corresponding sticker, but as long as you keep it short, chances are you will find a match.
- Tap on your favorite option to add it to the Story.
- All of the above also applies to Reels. You can add text on top of your Reel and customize its font, as we explained in the previous steps.
Good to know: If you’d like your Instagram presence to be as discrete as possible, here’s how to hide your Instagram account and prevent others from finding you.
2. Web-based Font Generator
If you don’t like the options Instagram provides you with, you can use one of the web-based font generators detailed in the previous section.
Paste the text from your browser onto the Story or Reel. It works without a problem. You can even apply further customizations from Instagram like changing the text color and adding a background to the text.
3. Third-party App
You can always turn to third-party apps if you need even more fonts. They can help you create unique Stories and Reels complete with custom fonts for your text. One of the best apps to create custom Stories and Reels is InShot (Android | iOS). Below we’ll show you how to change the font of the text on top.
- Open the app and select Photo or Video, depending on your needs.
- Upload your content from your device.
- Now, in the editing screen swipe right with your finger on the menu strip at the bottom. Tap on the “Text” button.
- Type in your text.
- To customize your font, press on the “Aa” option below.
- Browse the available (free) options and pick your favorite.
- If you don’t like any of them, you can view more options by pressing the icon that looks like a shopping bag on the right.
- You’ll need to upgrade to InShot Pro for free access to these options. Or you can watch an ad and unlock a single font.
- If you’re still unsatisfied, you can upload your fonts to the app by pressing the relevant icon on the right.
Tip: Reclaim your feed and get rid of the annoying suggestions on Instagram. Here’s how.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I change the font for Instagram's menus and settings, as well?
You can, but you must change your phone’s system font. Doing so will affect the font used everywhere on Instagram, but you might not be looking for that. If you want to change the font for a sole post, follow the instructions outlined in this article. Depending on your device model, you might not have the option to change the system font. This functionality is available on OnePlus and Samsung devices.
How do I adjust the text size on Instagram?
If we’re talking about the text in your bio, comments, or posts, adjusting it from the app is impossible. Instead, you’ll need to go through your phone’s settings. Once there, find the “Display” section and open the “Display size and text” submenu. Adjust font size from there, but note that it will affect all fonts on your device, not just the one you can see in the app. These steps might vary based on the smartphone model you own.
When it comes to the text added on top of your Stories and Reels, you can resize that by pinching in and out.
Why do some of the special characters appear as question marks of plain squares?
When pasting into Instagram from a font generator, you might notice that some special characters are rendered as question marks or plain squares. That can happen if your device doesn’t support the relevant Unicode characters. An alternative explanation is that Instagram tends to filter out some of the fancier letters and symbols. If that happens to you, we suggest you try another font and see if that works.
Can I copy text from Word to Instagram?
You can, but Instagram won’t register the font you’ve used in Word. The pasted text will appear in Instagram’s default font. On the other hand, copying text from a Unicode-friendly font generator like Fonts for Instagram and pasting it into Word works just fine.
Image source: cottonbro studio via Pexels. All screenshots by Alexandra Arici.
Alexandra is passionate about mobile tech and can be often found fiddling with a smartphone from some obscure company. She kick-started her career in tech journalism in 2013, after working a few years as a middle-school teacher. Constantly driven by curiosity, Alexandra likes to know how things work and to share that knowledge with everyone.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox
How to Change Fonts for Instagram with Fancy Text Generators. Instagram font generators are the easiest and quickest ways to create fancy text for your captions. All you need to do is enter your sentence, select your font, and voila!How do you get hidden fonts on Instagram? ›
- Open Instagram Stories and record/snap/upload your image.
- Tap the text button at the top (it's the one in the circle that reads Aa).
- Scroll across to...the Comic Sans font.
- Triumphantly type the word "Papyrus."
- Voilà! Now you can use the font for whatever you like.
Tap Accessibility, then tap Display & Text Size. Tap Larger Text. Tap the toggle to turn on Larger Accessibility Sizes. Drag the slider to adjust the text size.How do I change my font to true type? ›
- Upload otf-file(s) Select files from Computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, URL or by dragging it on the page.
- Choose "to ttf" Choose ttf or any other format you need as a result (more than 200 formats supported)
- Download your ttf.
- Open the app and upload the photo you want to post to you story.
- Tap the “add text” option that will appear over the photo and type your desired text.
- Choose your font, text color, and add a background to your text.
- Save your photo, open the Instagram app, and post to your story.
Hello Instagram Sans
Instagram Sans is our new, global typeface. The glyph and wordmark inspired this custom style that nods to our heritage. Instagram Sans reflects the shape of the glyph and our commitment to simplicity and craft.
Font generators are one of the quickest and easiest ways to add custom fonts to your Instagram content — all you need to do is enter your text, pick a custom font, copy your converted text, and paste it into your Instagram caption, bio, IGTV description, and even Instagram Stories.Where are the new fonts on Instagram? ›
To access the new fonts, all you need to do is open the Instagram Stories editor and tap the font icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen. The first 5 fonts are tried-and-tested ones that should already be familiar: Classic, Modern, Neon, Typewriter, and Strong.What are Instagram fonts called? ›
Instagram primarily uses the Sans font. This includes IG Sans Regular, Bold, Light, Medium, Condensed, and Condensed Bold. The social media platform aims to use this typeface to progress the typographic culture. A statement from the app's blog showed that IG Sans is a unique, global typeface.How do I fix my font problem? ›
- Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel.
- Double-click the Fonts icon.
- Select all of the fonts in the Fonts folder, except the fonts installed by Windows. ...
- Move the selected fonts to a temporary folder on the desktop.
- Restart Windows.
- Try to re-create the problem.
How do I get new fonts on Instagram? Not seeing the new fonts automatically pop on your Instagram Stories? No worries! To access the new rollout of fonts, you have to make sure that your Instagram app is up to date with the latest version.How do I change my typing style? ›
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Settings app. .
- Tap System. Languages & input.
- Tap Virtual Keyboard. Gboard.
- Tap Theme.
- Pick a theme. Then tap Apply.
It is physically possible with something like, Glyphs, Fontlab or Robofont. However, it is usually illegal to take a copyrighted font and edit it in that way. If you want to design and build a specific font like this, without opening and adapting someone else's font then that is fine.How does true type font work? ›
A TrueType font file includes many different kinds of information used by the TrueType rasterizer and the operating system software to ensure that characters display on the computer screen or print out exactly as the font designer intended them to.What are the 9 fonts on Instagram called? ›
The fonts that Instagram uses for Stories and Reels are Aveny-T for 'Modern,' Cosmopolitan for 'Neon,'' San Francisco Italic Bold (iOS) and Roboto Black Italic (Android) for 'Bold,' and Courier Bold for 'Typewriter.What font is used for aesthetic posts? ›
Without a question, the most popular font used in aesthetic posts is Helvetica – but there are a few other champion aesthetic fonts you see everywhere depending on the vibe.How many fonts are there for Instagram? ›
But, if you want to type the text via Instagram Stories interface then there are only five fonts to choose from. So, if you want to use different fonts for your Stories, you will have to create an image and add text to it separately. This can be done using any photo editing app like Canva.What is the best app for Instagram fonts? ›
The five apps we recommend with unique IG fonts are Promeo, PhotoDirector, Canva, Phonto, and Add Text: Write On Photos.What fonts are in the latest Instagram update? ›
The new typeface is called “Instagram Sans” and was inspired by Instagram's logo. Instagram notes that the font was inspired by squares and circles, or “squircles.” The new typeface also includes multiple global scripts. The company says Instagram Sans is a contemporary remix of grotesque and geometric styles.What font does iPhone use? ›
SF Pro. This neutral, flexible, sans-serif typeface is the system font for iOS, iPadOS, macOS and tvOS. SF Pro features nine weights, variable optical sizes for optimal legibility, four widths, and includes a rounded variant. SF Pro supports over 150 languages across Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic scripts.
So, to use different fonts on your Instagram Story, hold the Globe icon on your default iPhone keyboard. Normally, the lower-left corner is where you'll find it. Then select the Fontix keyboard as your current keyboard. And then, from the top of the keyboard, you'll see a list of different font styles.What font does Nike use? ›
Futura is a geometric sans-serif typeface designed by Paul Renner and released in 1927. It was designed as a contribution on the New Frankfurt-project.Why are my fonts different? ›
Fonts are stored in files on the computer and they are called by their name. If two fonts use the same name the computer will overwrite the old one. If two different custom fonts use the same name and each computer has a different one installed, the fonts will display according to how they are installed.How do I show hidden fonts? ›
Show or Hide Font(s) in Control Panel
1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Fonts icon. Select a font or font family you want, and click/tap on Hide or Show on the toolbar. Right click on a font or font family you want, and click/tap on Hide or Show.
Update Your App
Per IG's press release, Type mode is part of version 30 for Instagram on iOS in the App Store. It's also available Android in Google Play. I guarantee that once you update your app accordingly, you'll be able to use the new fonts with every new story you add.
Uninstall & Reinstall App.
From software glitches or other issues, your account of Instagram might not receive latest updates such as Instagram fonts. Thus you are required to try this solution of uninstall app from your device and reinstall it.
To access special characters in Microsoft Word, first open up the document that you want to edit. Then go to the “Insert” tab and select “Symbol” from the menu. This will open up a window where you can see all of the special characters that are available in the font that you are using.What is the secret font? ›
The Secret is a playful font, which can be used for all kinds of creative projects: logos, branding or on items for sale such as prints, mugs, pillows, merchandise etc. The Secret comes with upper and lowercase basic characters, numerals, marks and punctuation. You will receive TTF, OTF and WOFF formats.What fonts can everyone see? ›
- Times New Roman. For many, Times New Roman has become the default font for print and web documents. ...
- Verdana. ...
- Arial. ...
- Tahoma. ...
- Helvetica. ...
- Calibri. ...
- Verdana. ...
- Lucida Sans (PC) or Lucida Grande (Mac)