In this article, I will show you all the available methods you can use to type/insert the Slash O or O with a slash through it anywhere on Windows or Mac.
Just before we begin, I’ll like to tell you that you can also use the button below to copy and paste the O with slash symbol into your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol (Ø) on your keyboard, the actionable steps below will show you the way.
Table of Contents
Slashed O Symbol [Ø] Quick Help
To type the O with slash (Ø) symbol on Mac, press Option + Shift + O shortcut on your Mac keyboard. For Windows users, simply press down the Alt key and using the numeric keypad, type 0216 (i.e. Slash O Symbol alt code), then let go of the Alt key. On MS Word, first press Ctrl+/, then press Shift+O.
These keystrokes work everywhere including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, on the Web, on both Windows and Mac.
Below table contains all the shortcuts and alt codes you need to type the Slash O on keyboard.
|Symbol Name||Slashed O|
|Mac Shortcut||Option + Shift + O|
|MS Word Shortcut 1||00D8, Alt+X|
|MS Word Shortcut 2||Ctrl+/, Shift+O|
The above guide provides some quick shortcuts and alt codes on how to type the Slash O symbol on both Windows and Mac. However, below are some other methods you can also use to insert this symbol into your Word or Excel document.
How to type a Slashed O [AKA O with slash] symbol
Both Windows and Mac provide several methods for typing or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will explain five different methods you can use to type or insert the O with slash sign anywhere on your PC, including in your Browser or in MS Office (such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) for both Mac and Windows users.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Using the O with Slash Alt Code (Windows)
The Slashed O (or O with slash) Symbol alt code is0216.
Even though the Slashed O symbol does not have a dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type using the Alt code method. To do this, press and hold the Alt key whilst pressing the Slashed O Symbol Alt code (0216) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad as illustrated below.
Below is a break-down of the steps you can follow to type the Slashed O sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the O with slash symbol.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Slashed O alt code (0216). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressingFn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the Slash O symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using the Slashed O Symbol Shortcut (Macand Windows)
For Mac users, the keyboard shortcut for the Slash O Symbol isOption + Shift + O. For Windows users, use the Alt Code method by pressing down the [Alt] key whilst typing the O with Slash alt code which is 0216. If you’re on MS Word, simply type 00D8, then select it and press Alt+X.
If you are using the Alt Code method, then you must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. Also ensure that your Num Lock key is turned on.
Below is a breakdown of the Slash O Symbol shortcut for Mac:
To type O with slash through it on Mac,
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type this symbol.
- Now, press Option + Shift + O simultaneously on your keyboard to insert the symbol.
Below is a breakdown of the Slash O Symbol shortcut for Windows:
To type Slash O on Windows,
- Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key
- While pressing down the Alt key, type 0216 using the numeric keypad to insert the symbol.
To type O with stroke on Word,
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you need the O with slash sign.
- Press, Ctrl+/, and without pressing any key again, press Shift+O on your keyboard.
- Alternatively, type 00D8, highlight it, and press then Alt+X to convert the code to a Slash O Symbol.
These are the steps you may use to type the O with slash sign in Word or Excel, whether you are using Windows or Mac.
Copy and Paste the O with Slash through it
Another easy way to get the Slash O Symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
Copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page, or the character map for windows users (as shown below), and switch over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to MS Word or Excel, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
For windows users, you may also obey the following instructions to copy and paste the Slashed O sign using the character map dialog box.
- Click on theStartbutton and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click to check theAdvanced viewcheck-boxto expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view options, type“O with”in the Search box.
- You should now see the Slashed O on the character map dialog. If you can’t see it, then you should look through the library of symbols to spot it. When found, double click it to select. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on theCopybutton to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your document (like Microsoft Word or Excel), place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste the O with slash symbol on Windows PC.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Office document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert O with Stroke thought it in Word or Excel using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In theSubsetdrop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement to display symbols in this category which includes Slash O.
- Select the Ø symbol and click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the window.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert Slashed O in Word or Excel.
As you can see, there are several different methods you could use to type the O with slash Symbol in Microsoft Word.
Using the shortcuts for both Windows and Mac is the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have anything thing to say or questions to ask concerning the Slash O sign, please drop it in the comments.
Using Microsoft Word, ø and Ø may be typed by pressing Ctrl-/ followed by either minuscule or majuscule O.What does a 0 with a slash through it mean? ›
The slashed zero glyph is often used to distinguish the digit "zero" ("0") from the Latin script letter "O" anywhere that the distinction needs emphasis, particularly in encoding systems, scientific and engineering applications, computer programming (such as software development), and telecommunications.Do you put a slash through zero or O? ›
Slashes Zeros are frequently used in technical files to distinguish an O (letter O) from an 0 (the number 0). The zero is slashed to make it clear to the reader that this should not be confused with the letter zero.How do you get a 0 with a line through it on iPhone? ›
This helps us sort answers on the page. On your iPhone keyboard, tap and hold lightly on the “o” key and a line of extra characters will pop up. The slashed 0 is third from the left. Slide your finger it highlight it then let go, and a slashed zero will be input.How do you type an O with a slash through it on Chromebook? ›
On your Chromebook, find a writing program to type a special character or symbol in. Press Crtl + Shift + u and then let go of the keys at the same time. Type in the code for the symbol you want to use.What is the diagonal line on the keyboard? ›
We're talking about that 'slash' character (/) found on most keyboards to the right of the period. It's also known as virgule, solidus, slant, or forward slash, to distinguish it from a backward slash, or backslash (\).How do you type O on Windows? ›
- Æ is 146.
- æ is 145.
- Ø is 0216.
- ø is 0248.
- Å is 143.
- å is 134.
- ß is 225.
The symbol that looks like a 0 with a line through it is the greek letter "theta": θ.What is the circle with a diagonal line through it? ›
English: The no symbol (also known as a prohibition sign, no sign, circle-backslash symbol, nay, interdictory circle, or universal no) is a circle with a diagonal line through it (running from top left to bottom right), surrounding a pictogram used to indicate something is not permitted.How do you write 0 and O differently? ›
When it comes to 0 and O, in most fonts, 0 is narrower and O is rounder. I recently heard one teacher help students remember this by saying that 0 is skinnier because it has “zero fat”.
The first is to insert the Alt+0216 symbol, which is a capital O with a slash through it.How do you get special characters on iPhone keyboard? ›
- Acute accent (for example, é): Option-E.
- Grave accent (for example, è): Option-`.
- Tilde (for example, ñ): Option-N.
- Diaeresis or umlaut (for example, ü): Option-U.
- Circumflex (for example, ê): Option-I.
Go to Settings > Cellular, then make sure you have at least two lines (below SIMs). To add a line, see Set up cellular service on iPhone. Turn on two lines—tap a line, then tap Turn On this Line.How do you type a thorn letter on iPhone? ›
Tap and hold the = key and you'll get a pop up where you can slide your finger to select two similar characters: ≈ and ≠.Why doesn't the O work on my keyboard? ›
Restart your computer. If it is a wired keyboard, try connecting it to a different USB port or another computer. If it is a laptop Keyboard, try connecting a spare keyboard to isolate if it is a hardware problem.What is Control O on keyboard? ›
|To do this||Press|
|Open a document.||Ctrl+O|
|Create a new document.||Ctrl+N|
|Save the document.||Ctrl+S|
|Close the document.||Ctrl+W|
You type Ø by hitting Option-Shift-O (that's the letter O not a zero) on the Mac.How do I get special characters on my keyboard? ›
Inserting ASCII characters
To insert an ASCII character, press and hold down ALT while typing the character code. For example, to insert the degree (º) symbol, press and hold down ALT while typing 0176 on the numeric keypad. You must use the numeric keypad to type the numbers, and not the keyboard.
For superscript, press Ctrl, Shift, and the Plus sign (+) at the same time. For subscript, press Ctrl and the Equal sign (=) at the same time.How do you make a slashed zero? ›
- Position the insertion point where you want the slashed zero to appear.
- Press Ctrl+F9. Word inserts field braces.
- Type "eq \o(0,/)". (You should not include the quote marks.)
- Press Shift+F9. Word collapses your field and the slashed zero appears.
Slashed zero (0̸), a representation of the number 0 (zero) to distinguish it from the letter O.What is this symbol θ? ›
Theta (θ) is a letter from the Greek alphabet. In Mathematics and Physics it is customary to designate variables with letters.How do I get rid of the circle with a line through it? ›
What is the model of the mobile phone that you are using? If it is an Android phone it means that you have put the volume on you phone to "none". Just adjust your volume level and the icon will go away, flarum-mentions.What is the symbol of circle and horizontal line? ›
|Name:||Circle with Horizontal Bar|
|Block:||Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-B, U+2980 - U+29FF|
|Plane:||Basic Multilingual Plane, U+0000 - U+FFFF|
|Script:||Code for undetermined script (Zyyy)|
|Category:||Math Symbol (Sm)|
Noun. circle-A. Ⓐ; The symbol of anarchism.What are the different ways of writing O? ›
- Œ œ : Latin OE ligature.
- O with diacritics: Ø ø Ǿ ǿ Ö ö Ȫ ȫ Ó ó Ò ò Ô ô Ố ố Ồ ồ Ổ ổ Ỗ ỗ Ộ ộ Ǒ ǒ Ő ő Ŏ ŏ Ȏ ȏ Ȯ ȯ Ȱ ȱ Ọ ọ Ɵ ɵ ᶱ Ơ ơ Ớ ớ Ờ ờ Ỡ ỡ Ợ ợ Ở ở Ỏ ỏ Ō ō Ṓ ṓ Ṑ ṑ Õ õ Ȭ ȭ Ṍ ṍ Ṏ ṏ Ǫ ǫ Ȍ ȍ O̩ o̩ Ó̩ ó̩ Ò̩ ò̩ Ǭ ǭ O͍ o͍
- Select the cell or range of cells where you want to insert the dashes.
- Click the Home tab.
- In the Font group, click the Insert drop-down arrow.
- Click Special Characters. A dialog box appears.
- In the Symbol tab, select the character you want to insert. ...
- Click Insert.
It is easy to add a slash by right clicking a table cell, using "Format Cells", and adding a single slash or using "Insert - Shape - Line" to manually add multiple slashed.How do I get Unicode symbols on my iPhone? ›
To install a Unicode keyboard on your iPhone or iPad, launch the App Store and download the free UniChar app. Then launch Settings, General, Keyboard, Keyboards, Add New Keyboard…, and select UniChar from the options.How do you insert a line on iPhone? ›
- Double-tap where you want the break to occur.
- Tap Insert, then tap Line Break or Page Break. If you can't see Page Break, your document is a page layout document and doesn't use page breaks. Instead, you can add a new page.
Go to Settings > Cellular and check to see if your cellular line is turned on. If your cellular line is off, turn it back on. Then check to see if you have service. If you don't see your cellular line in Settings > Cellular, you should set up an eSIM or insert a physical SIM card.What is the 30th letter of the alphabet? ›
Thorn (letter) - Wikipedia.How do you type O on a Mac? ›
- Ø | Uppercase: Shift + Option + O.
- ø | Lowercase: Option + O.
Press the key combination "Shift-\" to type the "|" symbol.How to do slash on Mac? ›
Just like on the Windows keyboard on the PC, the character is entered with the Shift key and the 7-number key. The slash is therefore a simple second assignment of this key; also under macOS from Apple. Slash / enter: The slash key combination on the Mac is Shift + 7.How do you slash through text on a Mac? ›
Click on the "Strikethrough" button in the Font section of the Formatting toolbar. This will add a line through the selected text. You can also use the strikethrough shortcut by pressing "Command+Shift+X" on your keyboard. This will add a line through the selected text without having to open the Formatting toolbar.How do you make a circle with a slash through it on Excel? ›
Diameter Symbol Quick Help
This should give you the diameter symbol or O with slash through it. Alternatively, press down the Alt key, then press the symbol's Alt code – 0216.